The Cancer Service Program(CSP) at Glens Falls Hospital provides breast, cervical and colon cancer screening at NO COST to men and women who qualify.
The Cancer Services Program is a New York State cancer screening program for women and men who:
- Live in New York State
- Do not have health insurance
- Have health insurance with a cost share that makes the cost of screening too high
- Meet the program rules for age and income
Cancer screening can save lives. Screening tests check for signs of cancer before there are symptoms or problems. Screening tests for breast, cervical and colon cancer can find cancer early, when it may be easier to treat. Cervical and colon cancer can be prevented if found early.
The CSP provides cancer screening, follow-up tests, help getting treatment and support services.
Most health insurance covers breast, cervical and colon cancer screenings at no cost to the patient. This includes Medicaid and plans in the New York State of Health. Check with your insurance plan to find out what cancer screening services are covered.
Breast Cancer Screening
- Women ages 40 and older
- Women under age 40 at high risk for breast cancer*
Cervical Cancer Screening
- Woman ages 40 and older
Colon Cancer Screening
- Men and women ages 45 and older at average risk for colon cancer
- Men and women at increased or high risk for colon cancer*
*High-risk can only be decided by a New York State-licensed healthcare provider.
Follow-ups for Abnormal Tests
If a screening test finds something, the CSP will do more testing, called diagnostic tests. These tests can tell if something is, or is not, cancer.
Help With Treatment
- If breast, cervical or colon cancer is found, the CSP helps men and women who meet the program rules enroll in the New York State Medicaid Cancer Treatment Program (MCTP). The MCTP provides full Medicaid for the entire time a person is treated for cancer.
- Men diagnosed with prostate cancer by a CSP-participating healthcare provider may be able to enroll in the MCTP.
Note: the CSP does not pay for prostate cancer screening or diagnostic testing.
- CSP staff can help you find transportation and other assistance you may need if you are having trouble making or getting to your screening appointment.
- CSP case managers make sure follow-up appointments for more testing are scheduled and that patients have the support they need.
Links to Other Cancer Service Organizations
- Organizations throughout NYS provide support services to New Yorkers with cancer and their families. Please contact the C.R. Wood Cancer Center directly to find services, such as survivor support groups and genetic counseling.
**This program is supported with funds from the state of New York**