The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) is composed of a diverse group of individuals who are invested in partnering with the hospital staff. The purpose of the PFAC is evident in their mission statement:
Patients First – To promote a partnership between patients, families, and staff to achieve compassionate care through education and communication.
Involving patients in developing safe and effective hospital programs and services has proven to be valuable, making PFACs not only popular but successful. The Council at Glens Falls Hospital was founded in December 2016 and regularly meets the 1st Thursday of the month.
Goals for the Patient and Family Council Members includes:
- Gain a better understanding of the healthcare system
- Appreciate being listened to and having their opinions valued
- Become advocates for the patient and family-centered healthcare in their community
- Understand how to become an active participant in their own healthcare
- Develop close relationships with other members on the Council
- Provide an opportunity to learn new skills facilitating groups, listening skills, telling their story
The composition of the Council includes:
- Patient/family members
- VP of Quality Management
- Coordinator of the Patient Experience Department