Facilitating opportunities for healthy living
The Health Promotion Center of Glens Falls Hospital partners with members of school districts and surrounding communities to implement sustainable policy, system, and environmental changes. The Creating Healthy Schools & Communities initiative focuses on increasing access to healthy, affordable foods and opportunities for physical activity for students, staff, families, and community members.
Glens Falls Hospital is one of 23 contractors funded through a grant from the NYS Department of Health.
The school districts of Fort Ann, Fort Edward, Glens Falls, Granville, Hudson Falls, Johnsburg, North Warren, Warrensburg, Whitehall and their neighboring communities.
Collaborate with school districts and the surrounding communities to promote wellness using the following strategies:
- Assess, revise and implement local wellness policies to improve the school environment.
- Establish Comprehensive School Physical Activity Programs (CSPAP).
- Increase access to healthy, affordable foods and increase school district’s ability to meet federal Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 nutrition standards for foods sold outside of school meals.
- Improve policies, practices, and environments for physical activity and nutrition in Early Care and Education Settings.
- Increase adoption and use of food standards and procurement policies that increase healthy foods in community sites and settings.
- Adopt and implement Complete Streets policies, plans, and practices to increase access to opportunities to walk, bike and roll.