Harvesting and Examination for Pinworm Eggs
POWERCHART ORDER – Pinworm Examination, Pinworm Examination (Pinworm Paddle)
Adult Enterobius vermicularis worms inhabit the large intestine and rectum; however, the eggs are not normally found in fecal material. The adult female migrates out the anal opening and deposits the eggs on the perianal skin, usually during the night. The eggs, and occasionally the female worms, may be harvested in the morning by applying a clear sticky material (tape or paddle) to the perianal skin folds.
Pinworm Examination,pinworm Exam,pinworm Paddle, Pinworm Examination
Pinworm Paddle (Swube Collection Device)
Material from perianal area (external skin folds) on sticky Pinworm Paddle.
Specimen Minimum Volume
- 1 Pinworm paddle with sufficient material for examination
- Scotch Tape Preparation not accepted
Specimen Stability Information
- Transport at room temperature.
- Specimen is stable for 72 hours.
- *NOTE* Specimens that do not meet the above criteria will be rejected.
Rejected Due To
- Specimen not transported at room temperature.
- Specimen received greater than 72 hours old.
Product: Pinworm Swube Paddle Preparation Important:
The accuracy of this test depends upon your accuracy in collecting the timely specimen. This test is based on the fact that the pinworms migrate out at night and lay their eggs around the anal area. Usually only the eggs are recovered via this method. Positive identification of pinworm is possible less than 15% of the time on fecal specimens.
Therefore, the pinworm swube paddle device is the specific test for the recovery of pinworm.
- Collect the specimen when the patient first awakens (preferably when it is still dark outside) and prior to the patients urinating or bathing.
- Pull the pinworm swube paddle device apart into its three pieces, being careful to first note that one side of the paddle is labeled “sticky side” and second, not to touch this “sticky side” of the paddle with your fingers. NOTE: The words “STICKY SIDE” are etched on the paddle above the sticky surface.
- Using a rocking motion, press the sticky side of the paddle collection device across the anal area.
- Put the device back together; again being careful not to touch the sticky collection area of the paddle with your fingers.
- Wash hands after collection
- Specimen should be labeled with full legal patient name, date of birth, date and time of collection
- Bring the specimen to the laboratory at your earliest convenience. This specimen is stable for 72 hours.
Any questions feel free to call Glens Falls Hospital Microbiology Department at 518-926-3825
Glens Falls Hospital Microbiology Laboratory
No Pinworms Seen
Day(s) and Time(s) Performed
- 1x per day
- day shift
- 24 hour turnaround time
24 hour turnaround time
Specimen Retention Time
24 hour turnaround time