Physical activity is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. In combination with healthy eating, it can lower your risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes and certain cancers. Physical activity helps control weight, builds lean muscle, reduces fat, promotes strong bone, muscle and joint development, and decreases the risk of obesity.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children and adolescents should be active 60 minutes or more each day, and adults should be active 30 minutes each day at least 5 days a week.
Don't worry; being physically active may be easier than you think! Check out the Good Moves below and learn more about walking, bicycling, playing, and being active throughout the work or school day.
Take Steps to a Healthier You!
Walk for pleasure and for transportation!
Gas? Traffic? Parking? No Thanks.
Try a new driver's seat: commute by bike!
- Regional Bicycle Map
- Calculating commuter costs
- Bike to Work Info
- Rules of the Road — The American League of Bicyclists
- Pedestrian and Bicycling Information Center
- Warren County Safe & Quality Bicycling Organization
- Safe Routes — National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Federal Highway Administration Safe Routes to School ProgramAdd Trails to Your Mix
- Parks & Trails New York — Trail Finder
- Lake George Land Conservancy Nature Preserve Trails
- Hackensack Mountain & Recreation Area
Play Ball. Catch Yourself Healthy!
Play at your local park
- Glens Falls City Parks
- Queensbury Parks
- Warrensburg Parks
- Lake George Parks
- Fort Edward Parks
- New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- Let‘s Move Outside — Ideas on what to do
Activity in the Workday or Schoolday
Get Active. Get Healthy.
- Let‘s Move Schools
- CDC Healthier Worksite Initiative
- CDC‘s Healthier Worksite Initiative-Steps to Wellness
Plan a Walking Meeting
- CDC‘s Healthier Worksite Initiative - Steps to Wellness
- CDC‘s Healthier Worksite Initiative – Worksite Walkability
- Healthfinder.gov – Get Active
- American Heart Association – Find a Walking Path?
Step Up. Slim Down. Take the stairs!
Are you part of a local business, school or community organization and interested in joining the Good Move campaign? Contact us at to receive a free Good Move promotional starter kit.
Spread the word and make a Good Move today.