Glens Falls Hospital provides a number of cancer education programs for adults, as well as programs for area school districts as follows:
Adult Education Programs
- "Woman to Woman" Breast and Cervical Cancer Education
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Program
- Skin Cancer Awareness Program
- Cancer Risk Reduction Lectures
School-Based Education Program
"Woman to Women" Breast and Cervical Cancer Education
For: Women age 16 and over
Program Goal: The program's goal is to increase participant's knowledge of breast and cervical cancer screening and thus increase utilization of breast and cervical cancer screening measures by women.
Program Description: This education program includes information on: mortality and morbidity of breast cancer; benefits of early detection; review and identification of risk factors; breast self exam education; American Cancer Society Guidelines for breast health and cervical screenings.
Ovarian Cancer Awareness Program
For: Women age 16 and over.
Program Goal: The program's goal is to increase the participant's knowledge of ovarian cancer symptoms and actions that they should take.
Program Description: This education program includes information on: mortality and morbidity of ovarian cancer; review and identification of risk factors; ovarian cancer symptoms and actions that can be taken to diagnose and/or rule out ovarian cancer.
Skin Cancer Awareness Program
For: All adults
Program Goal: To increase public awareness of the dangers of over exposure to the sun and methods of prevention to reduce the risk of skin cancer.
Program Description: This program provides information on: incidence and causes of skin cancer; risk factors; types of skin cancer; skin cancer prevention for adults and children; and self-examinations.
Cancer Risk Reduction Lectures
A Healthy Living Series on cancer facts, screening recommendations, risk reduction and prevention which are provided community-wide by request.
Please call 926-6640 for more information.
Skin Cancer Awareness/Sun Safety Program
Goal of Program: The goal of this program is to decrease skin cancer in adulthood by providing intervention in early childhood. The program is adapted for varying age groups as follows:
- This 15-minute program provides information on protective sun measures and incorporates the use of a mannequin for instruction on appropriate attire.
- This 20-minute program uses role playing exercises to provide information on sun safety measures, and includes a brief discussion of ozone layer depletion.
Junior & Senior High
- This 45-minute program provides information on the incidence of skin cancer, risk factors, types of skin cancer, prevention and sun safety measures.